Photo: Yonatan Hareustock
Haifa hit by rockets, Sunday morning
Photo: Yonatan Hareustock
Photo: AP
Beirut ruins
Photo: AP

4 lightly injured in rocket attack near Akko

Several rockets land in Akko area Monday morning, house suffers direct hit. Siren activated in Haifa. Later, barrage fired at Kiryat Shmona. On Sunday evening, rockets reach Afula, Jezreel Valley for first time. Air strikes in Lebanon continue: Lebanese soldiers killed in radar shelling on shores in Tripoli area

Sixth day of war in north: Another siren was activated early Monday in the city of Haifa, which was forced to cope with the deadliest blow so far Sunday morning – with eight killed and dozens injured following a rocket attack. The city was not hit by rockets this time, but rockets landed in the Akko area, one of them directly hitting a house.


The rocket landed in one of the house's bedrooms at 4:30 a.m. The father of the family was hurt by shrapnel, while his wife sleeping next to him was not hurt. Their child, who was sleeping in the neighbors' house, was also not hurt. In total, four people were lightly injured in the community.


"Those were two of the loudest explosions I ever heard in my life," said Rotem Sluk, who lives next to the house that was hit. "When we went out to check what happened, we discovered that one missile hit the area neat the community's swimming poll and another hit the house."


In the afternoon, after a break of several hours, the fire was resumed with rockets landing in open areas south of Kiryat Shmona. There were no reports of injuries.


Additional rockets landed north of Nahariya and near Kibbutz Lohamei Hagetaot. Residents of Bustan Hagalil, a community near Akko, also woke up to sounds of blasts.


One of the residents, Doron Efrati, recounted: "The falls were a little before 6 a.m. People came out of the houses, some even went up to the roofs to try and check if there were hits or fires. Overall people saw it as an experience, because it was far away from us."


On Sunday evening, rockets reached Afula and the Jezreel Valley communities for the first time, landing in open areas.


Tiberias residents also woke up Monday morning to the sounds of a siren, which later turned out to be a false alarm.

Akko house suffers direct hit (Photo: Rotem Sluk)


And while the fire in the Galilee continued, Lebanon was also shelled: On Sunday night, after a short break of several hours, the offensive continued with 50 targets being struck within a number of hours, including the Beirut airport. Arab media reported of 15 casualties.


On Sunday night, the Israel Defense Forces struck the Lebanese army's radar system in bases in the northern city of Tripoli and in the town of Abada. A Lebanese security official reported that nine Lebanese soldiers were killed in the attack and many others were injured.


IDF officials said that the offensive was carried out in light of Hizbullah's use of the radar systems in order to hurt fighters, such as the deadly attack on the Israeli missile boat on Friday evening.


Further developments:


  • South also on fire: At least 20 Qassam rockets landed in Sderot and south of Ashkelon on Sunday night and Monday morning. Two residents were lightly wounded by shrapnel. Operation Open Skies continued, focusing on the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Hanoun. According to Palestinian sources, 20-year-old Mahmoud Kanafa was killed by IDF fire. The sources added that the IDF was besieging the town's hospital.


  • Third front opens Monday morning: IDF soldiers entered the Nablus casbah to arrest wanted Palestinian terror suspects and encontered intense Palestinian fire.


  • Hizbullah's television network aired a recorded appearance by Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, in which he promised: "We will surprise you on the lands like we surprised you on the sea." He pleaded with the Arab and Islamic world to intervene and help the Lebanese, and noted how he had already expelled the IDF from Lebanon using relatively poor means, according to his definition.


  • Prime Minister Ehud Olmert spoke with the families of the two soldiers kidnapped by Hizbullah and said that according to the information Israel holds, the sons are alive. Officials at his office said that "the issue will be dealt with after the battles calm down."


  • About 1,000 left-wing activists demonstrated in Tel Aviv to protest the IDF's operation in south Lebanon, calling on Israel to negotiate with Hizbullah and Hamas. "Peretz, don't worry, we'll be seeing you at The Hague," they shouted.


Hagai Einav, Sharon Roffe-Ofir, Hanan Greenberg and Roee Nahmias contributed to the report


פרסום ראשון: 07.17.06, 06:39
 new comment
This will delete your current comment