In yet another violation of the agreed upon ceasefire between Israel and armed Palestinian organizations, which went into affect two weeks ago, a Qassam rocket fired from northern Gaza Thursday landed in an open area in the western Negev. No injuries or damage were reported.
In light of the attack Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered the security establishment to close all of the crossings along the Gaza-Israel border. On Thursday more than 70 trucks loaded with, among other things, cattle and cement entered the Strip from Israel.
The repeated truce violations on the part of the Palestinian groups resulted in the closure of the crossings for two consecutive days last week.
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Tuesday Israel realizes an absolute truce cannot be enforced immediately, and therefore has shown some patience in the face of Gaza ceasefire violations, but added that this should not be perceived as weakness.
"Should the lull not be maintained, we will respond with full force," he said.