Ashkelon Municipality and the city's Parents' Association filed a petition with the High Court of Justice Tuesday demanding the court order the government to finish fortifying its schools, in accordance with the Homefront Command's recommendations.
The petitioners claim the Defense Ministry halted the fortification suddenly and without warning, citing lack of funds.
They demand that the government provide funding needed to fortify the remaining schools as, they claim, Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai promised Ashkelon Mayor Benny Vaknin.
The petition says that after nine kindergartens were fortified in March of last year the Defense Ministry halted all work, and that 13 kindergartens and 10 elementary schools still remain vulnerable to rocket threats.
The children studying in these facilities are currently instructed to hide underneath their desks in case of a Color Red alert.
The petition says the parents of these children are "incredibly worried and anxious", and asks the court to remedy the situation.
"The parents' outcry also touches upon an unacceptable discrimination between the children studying at schools that have been fortified and the children who were not lucky enough to be signed up to these schools by their parents," the petitioners say.