'Heinous crime.' Netanyahu
Photo: EPA
Limor Livnat during her nephew's funeral
Photo: Ohad Zwigenberg

'Heinous act against Jewish worshipers'

(VIDEO) Details remain unclear hours after Palestinian police officers open fire on group of hasidim at Joseph's Tomb, killing one, injuring two others. PM Netanyahu urges PA to act with heavy hand against perpetrators, while Palestinian sources claim it is still uncertain whether shooting was intentional

Shooting attack or unintentional mishap? Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned on Sunday evening the shooting incident at Joseph's Tomb in Nablus that killed 24-year-old Ben-Yosef Livnat and injured two other Hasidim, calling it a "terrorist attack."


In his statement, Netanyahu urged the Palestinian Authority "to take harsh steps against the perpetrators who committed this heinous act against Jewish worshipers who were on their way to prayer."


Netanyahu also said that he had spoken with the victim's aunt, Sports and Culture Minister Limor Livnat and sent his condolences to the family.


The Palestinian Authority has yet to issue an official statement in response to the incident, but several Palestinian sources claimed that it was still uncertain whether the shooting was intentional.


The only Palestinian official to comment on the affair was Nablus Governor Jibril al-Bakri. According to al-Bakri, "Around 5:45 am five Israeli vehicles with some 30 passengers arrived at the scene.


"They divided into two groups and began throwing stones at Palestinian police officers guarding the vicinity," he said.


No suspects arrested

The governor added that the police officers shot in the air, and the worshippers began fleeing in their cars while hitting the road block. However, Al-Bakri did not explain how Ben-Yosef and three other Hasidim were injured in the incident.


Meanwhile, the IDF and Palestinian security apparatus continued to probe the fatal incident in an attempt to unfold the events as they occurred.


Earlier, Palestinian security forces spokesman Adnan Damiri denied reports that claimed Palestinian forces arrested the police officer responsible for the shooting.


In an interview with a Palestinian radio station Damiri claims that Palestinian security forces collected testimonies and were investigating the incident, adding that Israel has yet to establish any kind of inquiry.


As of Sunday evening, two Hasidim remain hospitalized in Rabin Medical Center in Petah Tikva. One is in serious condition while the other sustained moderate injuries. A third man was released from the hospital shortly after the incident.


Elior Levy contributed to this report



פרסום ראשון: 04.24.11, 21:12
 new comment
This will delete your current comment