Photo: Shai Rozentzweig
Halutz: Troops did not live up to standards
Photo: Shai Rozentzweig

Army chief dismisses commander

Dan Halutz adopts recommendations of investigative committee, dismisses two soldiers in elite Duvdevan undercover unit who refused to take part in counter-terrorism operation in Jenin

Chief of Staff Dan Halutz has decided to adopt the recommendations of an investigative committee that called for a crew commander and a sergeant from the elite Duvdevan (Cherry) undercover unit to be dismissed for refusing to take part in a counter-terror operation


The committee pointed out that two other fighters who refused to take part in the mission did not live up to the norms expected from a soldier in an elite unit, but said they two could continue to serve as infantry soldiers.


The affair was first brought to light by Israel's leading newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth.


Commenting on the report, Halutz said that "a serious lapse in ethics and authority exists among commanders who stay behind while the rest of the fighters, under their command, go out to battle."


The chief of staff said that the two additional fighters "did not live up to the standards expected of a fighter in an elite unit like Duvdevan, but in light of the circumstances and their contribution, they will continue serving in the infantry corps, but not in Duvdevan."


Halutz received a report on Monday that was drawn up by a special investigative committee appointed by the Judea and Samaria Division Commander, Brigadier General Yair Golan, in order to investigate the series of events before, during, and after the operation in question, in the West Bank town of Jenin.


Halutz commended the committee, saying it had done its job in a "comprehensive, high-quality, and professional manner."


The army chief added that "Duvdevan is an elite unit whose fighters are the spearhead in the difficult and ongoing fight by the IDF against Palestinian terrorism. Thanks to this unit, hundreds of risky operations ended successfully, and have helped the citizens of Israel maintain their day to day routine."


3-hour firefight


The incident in question occurred following a counter-terror operation that encountered difficulties, with troops coming under heavy fire for three hours and only narrowly and miraculously escaping injury.


Following the operation, some soldiers in the force faced heavy mental stress, prompting a commander in the unit to ask the soldiers receive mental help, but to no avail.


Later, before the unit was set to launch another operation, the commander told his superiors his team was not fit to go into battle and that he is unable to take responsibility and lead them into yet another firefight. At that point, the commander and three troops announced they refuse to take part in the operation.


פרסום ראשון: 01.02.06, 17:13
 new comment
This will delete your current comment