A 10-year-old boy sustained moderate to serious wounds on Monday during a burning of chametz ceremony in Safed.
The boy, who suffered burns on several parts of his body, was evacuated by ambulance to the Ziv Medical Center.
At around 10 a.m. the boy’s family gathered at an open area on Tzahal Street to burn chametz ahead of the Passover holiday. The accident occurred when a family member apparently poured fuel over the fire, which then spread and burned the boy, who was standing nearby.
Paramedics who treating the boy at the scene said he suffered from second and third degree burns to his face, chest and arms.
Thousands of chametz burning ceremonies are being held all across the country, and the public was asked to keep children away from the fires.