A few hours after several right-wing organizations declared their intent to destroy the home of Alaa Abu Dheim, the terrorist who killed eight in an attack on the Mercaz Harav yeshiva in Jerusalem last week, they appeared to back down from their threat.
Nadya Matar, chairwoman of Women in Green, said "it is clear and simple: if anyone of us seriously wanted to destroy the terrorist's house, it would have been done quietly, without declaring (our intentions) first."
This doesn't mean that the organizations have completely backed down from their threat, Matar said. She clarified that the intent was to separate their move from other calls for revenge.
"We are going to demolish the terrorist's house but we won't cause harm to anybody" said Matar. A statement made earlier Thursday said that the call to act was aimed to "depict the great gap between the State's authorities and officials and the Jewish people they are in charge of and are supposed to protect."
“In light of the complete incompetence of the political authorities and their inability to at least destroy the murderer's home and expel his relatives and supporters, we must take matters into our own hands as emissaries of the Jewish people,” the statement by Women in Green, Komemuyut, Halev Hayehudi ("The Jewish Heart") and the bereaved families read.
Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who announced last night that he supports the destruction of the terrorist's house, was subjected to criticism in the statement. "The defense minister does not understand the extent to which the Arab people living among us are a threat to our existence, but we congratulate him for taking steps in the right direction."
Despite the cancellation of the plan to meet at Jerusalem's Armon Hanatziv and to proceed from there to the terrorist's home in east Jerusalem, the organizations declared that a public demonstration would be held as planned on Sunday "unless the terrorist's house is demolished and his family, who declared their support for actions, are deported."