Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered the commercial crossings between Israel and the Gaza Strip closed as of Wednesday morning following the launching of a Qassam rocket towards southern Israel earlier on Tuesday.
The crossings are to remain closed over the next two days. On Thursday Barak will conduct a revaluation of the situation
Palestinian gunmen launched a Qassam rocket from northern Gaza towards Israel on Tuesday evening. The rocket landed in an open area in a kibbutz belonging to the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council.
No injuries were reported and no damage was caused. In recent weeks construction has begun in parts of the kibbutz to fortify buildings against rocket attacks.
The Qassam remains on Tuesday (Photo: Ze'ev Trachtman)
More than 20 Qassam rockets have been fired towards the western Negev, as well as numerous mortar shells. Local residents say the attacks have become daily, and many worry the fragile truce may be at an end.
Sha'ar Hanegev Chairman Alon Shuster said following the attack that "even if there was total calm, my mind wouldn't be at rest. I still believe that the government is not doing all it needs to be doing in terms of
fortification. Even the ongoing budget debates shouldn't interfere with the fortification efforts."
Shuster added that Defense Minister Ehud Barak and military officials have also said fortification must be made a priority. "But unfortunately they don't have the money," said Shuster. "We hope the works will be completed soon, including the communities that were not part of the agreements, but that are still being fired upon."
Hanan Greenberg contributed to this report