None of the 3,000 new peacekeepers and military hardware promised by the UN Security Council last year has arrived in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the top UN official in Congo said.
In response to renewed fighting in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the Security Council in November approved a temporary increase
of 3,000 troops and police in the UN peacekeeping mission in Congo, known as MONUC, to 20,000. It is already the world's largest UN force. "The package that the council approved last year, none of it has shown up on the ground yet," UN special envoy to Congo Alan Doss told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday. (Reuters)