Abbas points finger at Israel
Photo: AFP
Police forces on Temple Mount, Friday
Photo: Gil Yohanan

Abbas: Israel crossed red lines in J'lem

Palestinian president's office issues special statement following Temple Mount clashes, says Friday's events 'aimed at damaging the chances to resume the peace process.' PA calls on US to intervene in order to 'stop the adventure which may spark a religious war in the region.' Syria condemns 'desecration of Arab and Islamic sanctities'

The Palestinian Authority on Friday pointed a finger at Israel following clashes which broke out on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem and left 60 Palestinians and about 20 police officers injured. Eight policemen were evacuated to hospitals in the capital. Five protestors were detained for questioning.


According to a special statement released by the office of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, "Today's events were aimed at damaging the chances of resuming the peace process and Israel is crossing all the red lines – after the Arab League's monitoring committee recommended that the negotiations between the sides be resumed."


The statement also said that Abbas, who was being updated on the events in Jerusalem, had called on the American administration to "stop the adventure which may ignite a religious war in the region" and demanded that the international community "take responsibility and stop the Israeli recklessness, which may have serious implications on the entire region and on peace and security in the entire world."


Syria said Friday it "condemns the Israeli aggression" at the Temple Mount which showed the Jewish state rejected efforts to relaunch the peace process.


"The desecration of Arab and Islamic sanctities comes as the Arab League accepted the launch of indirect negotiations... which is further evidence of the seriousness of Israel's quest for peace," said a foreign ministry statement.


"It's also proof that the Israeli policy rejects the peace process and seeks to liquidate the Palestinian cause."

Police face stone throwers (Photo: Reuters)


The clashes began as Arab worshippers began hurling stones at the Western Wall plaza and police forces stationed at the Mugrabi Gate in Jerusalem's Old City. The police forces removed the stone throwers and stormed the Temple Mount compound, using stun grenades.


Dozens of youths fled into the al-Aqsa Mosque following the clashes. According to the police, the forces did not enter the mosque.


Additional clashes took place during protests in the West Bank. Some 50 people hurled stones at the security forces near the village of Dir Nizam, northwest of Ramallah.


Nearby, in Nabi Saleh, Palestinians reported that a youth was badly injured in the head by a rubber bullet. The boy was hurt over the eye and rushed unconscious to the hospital in the Palestinian town of Salfit.


Efrat Weiss and AFP contributed to this report


פרסום ראשון: 03.05.10, 16:51
 new comment
This will delete your current comment