Channels

Rebels in Ajdabiya
photo: Reuters
Weapons seized by rebels from Gaddafi's army
Rebels: Gaddafi using Israeli weapons
Libyan opposition forces say army is using bombs, rockets that originated in Israel, Al Jazeera reports
The Qatari news network Al Jazeera reported on Thursday that opposition forces in the Libyan city of Misrata displayed weapons that they claim originated in Israel. The weapons were allegedly siezed from the forces supporting Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

 

The opposition leaders alleged that some of the confiscated rockets and bombs had Stars of David imprinted on them. The photographs that were broadcast during the report showed different explosive devices, but no Israeli symbols or serial numbers were discernable. 


Weapons from Israel? (Photo from Al Jazeera)

 

Meanwhile, Thursday's battles focused on the region between Brega and Ajdabiya, where the opposition forces have come under heavy fire from Gaddafi's army. Earlier it was reported that Gaddafi's forces have placed several explosives around Ajdabiya. The rebel-controlled Misrata continued to be under attack as well. The superior firepower of Gaddafi's army has been damaged, but not destroyed, by Western-led air strikes.

 

'40 civilians killed in air strike'

About 1,000 people are believed to have been killed in clashes between supporters and opponents of Gaddafi, the British government said in a human rights report published on Thursday.

 

The UK's Foreign Office also said it was "appalled by widespread reports of other serious human rights violations, including the use of torture and extra-judicial executions, illegal arrests and detentions (including incommunicado detention), denial of medical assistance and humanitarian aid." 


Gaddafi forces planted bombs near Ajdabiya (Photo: Reuters)

 

The top Vatican official in Tripoli, Bishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, said on Thursday that 40 civilians were killed in air strikes by Western forces on the Libyan capital, citing what he called reliable sources in close contact with residents.

 

"The air strikes are meant to protect civilians, but they are killing dozens of civilians," the apostolic vicar of Tripoli told Reuters by phone.

 

NATO said it was investigating Martinelli's report but had no confirmation of civilian casualties in Tripoli.

 

NATO assumed command of all air operations over Libya early Thursday, taking over from the US, which had been eager to be rid of that responsibility. NATO Chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen told reporters in Stockholm that NATO's position is that "we are there to protect the Libyan people, not to arm the people."

 

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report

 

 

 


פרסום ראשון: 03.31.11, 22:30
 new comment
See all talkbacks "Rebels: Gaddafi using Israeli weapons"
Warning:
This will delete your current comment