Hamas published pictures of three suspects wanted in for the murder of an Italian pro-Palestinian activist in Gaza last week, and the group is offering a cash prize for any information leading to their arrest.
The 36-year old Vittorio Arrigoni was kidnapped and then murdered by a group inspired by al-Qaeda. His body, which was found by Hamas operatives, will be transferred to Italy through Egypt later after a small funeral service in Gaza.
The organization ruling the Gaza Strip says the search is on for additional suspects, among them a former member of Hamas security forces, Mohammed Mahmoud Namar al-Salfiti, and a Jordanian citizen believed to have strangled Arrigoni, Abdul Rahman Mohammed al-Barizat.
The organization says the suspects are roaming Gaza with false identification papers. The third man has been identified as Belal al-Amri.
Jordanian citizen al-Barizat. Believed to have strangled Arrigoni
Arrigoni's body was found a day after a video posted on YouTube showed him with his eyes covered and bleeding, begging his captors for mercy.
The Salafist group had demanded the release of an unspecified number of their members detained by the security forces in the Gaza Strip, threatening to execute the hostage if their demand was not met.
A Gaza security source has revealed that the evidence leading to the suspects includes photographs and videos they took of the victim and the surroundings in which he was kept, as well as a search of the apartment, where more evidence was found.
On Sunday Egidia Beretta, Arrigoni's mother, told Ynet she plans to visit Gaza soon. "Vittorio spoke a lot about Gaza and now he's gone. I plan to visit the Gaza Strip in the future. I want to see where my son lived and died, to see what he spoke of and for what cause he sacrificed his life," she said.
- Follow Ynetnews on Facebook