Officials in Kibbutz Sa'ad, near the Gaza Strip, have decided to build a cement wall that will protect student buses as they enter the community.
The initiative follows the rocket attack on an area school bus almost two months ago that claimed the life of one student.
The decision was taken last week, and construction work began Monday.
Construction work underway (Photo: Tsafrir Abayov)
"It's another precaution we're adopting, mostly because of the school buses that come and go," said kibbutz secretary Buki Bart. "The entrance to the kibbutz was identified as a vulnerable spot that can be monitored from the Strip, and after the bus incident we decided to protect the entrance using such cement walls."
The IDF southern command also lauded the decision to build the new defensive wall.
"My children travel on this bus," one area resident said. "Initially, following the anti-tank rocket attack (on the bus,) they were under huge stress and didn't want to go on the bus. This wall is part of a broad plan to protect the children."
However, community representative Shlomi Ofer noted that the new wall is "something small, not the Great Wall of China." He added that the ultimate plan is to have buses enter the kibbutz via a new square to be built in the future.
- Follow Ynetnews on Facebook