Restrained by a police harness, the Norwegian man who confessed to killing 69 people at an island youth camp reenacted his actions for police in a secret daylong trip back to the crime scene.
Police said Sunday they took Anders Behring Breivik back to the island of Utoya for a Saturday hearing about the July 22 terror attacks, when Breivik shot the victims dead on the lake island near Oslo after killing another eight people in the capital with a bomb.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop
The hearing took place amid a massive security operation that aimed to avoid escape attempts by Breivik and protect him against potential avengers.
Video images of the reenactment published by Norwegian daily VG show Breivik arriving at Utoya with the same ferry he used to get to the island last month. Breivik wore a bulletproof vest and a harness connected to a leash over a red T-shirt and jeans as he casually led police around the island.
Breivik reenactment (Photo: Norwegian daily VG)
"The suspect showed he wasn't emotionally unaffected by being back at Utoya ... but didn't show any remorse," Hjort Kraby told reporters. "He has been questioned for around 50 hours about this, and he has always been calm, detailed and collaborative, and that was also the case on Utoya."
The hearing been arranged to avoid the need for a reenactment in the midst of the trial and to make Breivik remember more details, Hjort Kraby said.
The prosecutor also confirmed Norwegian media reports that police received several phone calls during the terror attack that were probably from Breivik himself, but wouldn't say how police had reacted to the calls.
According to Norwegian daily Aftenposten, Breivik offered to surrender several times and asked police to call him back, but they didn't.
Norway solidarity march (Photo: MCT)
Norwegian media also reported that Breivik may have filmed parts of the massacre himself. Hjort Kraby said Sunday that a video camera had been discussed during the hearing on Utoya, but declined to elaborate.
Breivik's lawyer has said he has admitted to the terror attacks, but denies criminal guilt because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and Europe from Muslims and punish politicians who have embraced multiculturalism.
Breivik faces up to 21 years in prison if he is convicted on terrorism charges, but an alternative custody arrangement if he is still considered a danger to the public could keep him behind bars indefinitely.
- Follow Ynetnews on Facebook