Fragile lull dissipates further – Two Qassam rockets were fired Friday evening from the Gaza Strip toward Israel. The rockets exploded in open areas near Sha'ar HaNegev Regional Council. The Color Red rocket alert system sounded beforehand. No injuries or damage were reported.
The rockets, which exploded shortly after 10pm, were the first to be launched from Gaza in seven hours. Earlier on Friday, a Grad rocket exploded near Ashkelon. No injuries were reported.
Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council head Alon Shuster said following the barrage that "there was never more than a week or two without rocket fire.
"The area next to the fence is a permanent battle field with ceaseless skirmishes. The residents here aren't delusional, and realize that this is the reality," he said.
"It's important that decision makers realize that a ceasefire refers only to urban centers, and not to the communities in the fence vicinity," Shuster lamented.
On Thursday night, the Islamic Jihad announced that it will stand by the armistice agreed upon by Hamas, the Popular Resistance Committees and other Gaza groups vis-à-vis Israel.
Jihad spokesman Nasiz Azzam said that the lull – originally brokered on Sunday after several days of incessant rocket fire at Israel – will take effect starting at 1 am on Friday.
On Thursday, 11 rockets exploded in southern Israel, landing in open fields near Ashkelon, Sderot, and surrounding regional councils. No injuries were reported in any of the incidents.
- Follow Ynetnews on Facebook
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop