Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has accepted the recommendations of the internal security minister and the justice minister for dealing with far-Right activists rioting in the West Bank but rejected a recommendation to define the Hilltop Youth as a terror organization.
The ministers drew up the recommendations after holding meetings with teams from the Shin Bet, IDF, police and the State Prosecutor's Office. The approved recommendations include immediate executive arrest warrants for the rioters and an immediate increase of individuals expelled from the West Bank.
- Gov't mulls deeming far-Right violence 'terror'
- IDF to apply fire protocol to Jews?
- 'Rightist violence stems from genuine pain'
The rioters will also be prosecuted in military courts and IDF soldiers will be authorized to make arrests. In addition, the State will expand special investigating teams from the Shin Bet, police, State Prosecutor's Office and the IDF.
"Whoever raises their hand at an IDF soldier or policeman will be severely punished," Netanyahu said.
He further added, "Ephraim Brigade rioters will be subject to the same punishment as the rioters in the Bilin anti-fence protests. I want to make it clear that this is a small group which does not represent the majority of settlers in Judea and Samaria who are loyal to the State and the state's laws and condemn the violence."
Overnight Tuesday some 300 settlers rioted on Route 55 near the Ramat Gilad outpost. Fearing an eviction, they hurled stones at Palestinian cars and attacked Ephraim Brigade commander's jeep. The commander and his deputy were pelted with stones and sustained light injuries.
Earlier on Wednesday, violent clashes between right-wing activists and police forces erupted in Jerusalem's Kiryat Moshe neighborhood. Police said that six 'price tag' suspects were arrested.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop