The remarks by central bank governor Mahmoud Bahmani carried by the semiofficial Mehr news agency are the first reaction from a senior Iranian official on the day that the sanctions, meant to pressure Tehran over its controversial nuclear program, are to go into effect.
- Iran feels sanctions pain as oil income slumps
- Iran: 2nd reactor in Bushehr by early 2014
- expert: Secret war on Iran's nuclear program not working
The EU said earlier this week that all contracts for importing Iranian oil will have to be terminated from Sunday. Also, European companies will no longer be involved in insuring Iranian oil.
The measures come on top of previous sanctions levied by the US and the West that have already hit Iran's economy. US officials say the American sanctions have cut exports of Iranian crude from about 2.5 million barrels a day last year to between 1.2 and 1.8 million barrels now.
"We have not remained passive. For confronting the sanctions, we have plans in progress," he said.
On Saturday Bahmani said Iran is "easily" selling its oil despite all current and future sanctions because some countries have received waivers from the US to import some Iranian oil despite the punitive measures.
The State Department has announced that China, India, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey and Taiwan have been given waivers from the US in exchange for "significantly reducing" oil imports.
The US and EU measures are intended to pressure Iran over fears that it is developing nuclear weapons. Iran denies the charges.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop