Channels

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah
Photo: EPA
EU refuses Israeli request to blacklist Hezbollah
Israel blames Iran and Hezbollah for Burgas terror attack; Cypriot FM says that if there were tangible evidence that Hezbollah engaged in terror, EU would consider blacklisting the group

The European Union turned down a request Tuesday by Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman to blacklist Hezbollah as a terror group after last week's deadly bombing in Bulgaria.

 

"There is no consensus for putting Hezbollah on the list of terrorist organisations," said Cypriot Foreign Minister Erato Kozakou-Marcoullis, whose country currently holds the rotating EU presidency.

 

Related stories:

 

Israel blames Iran and the Lebanese group Hezbollah for Wednesday's suicide attack at the Black Sea airport of Burgas in which five Israelis and their Bulgarian driver died.

 


The bus bombed at the Burgas airport is cleared away (Photo: Reuters)

 

Sitting alongside the Cypriot minister at a news conference held after annual EU-Israel talks, Lieberman said: "The time has come to put Hezbollah on the terrorist list of Europe."

 

"It would give the right signal to the international community and the Israeli people."

 

But Kozakou-Marcoullis said Hezbollah was an organization comprising a party as well as an armed wing and was "active in Lebanese politics".

 

"Taking into account this and other aspects there is no consensus for putting Hezbollah on the list of terrorist organizations," she said.

 

The EU would consider this if there were tangible evidence of Hezbollah engaging in acts of terror, she added.

 

  • Receive Ynetnews updates directly to your desktop

 

 


פרסום ראשון: 07.24.12, 17:58
 new comment
See all talkbacks "EU refuses Israeli request to blacklist Hezbollah"
Warning:
This will delete your current comment