The Palestinians on Friday officially became signatories in five UN human rights conventions to which they appealed on April 1, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights said in a statement.
- Follow Ynetnews on Facebook STRONG>
- United Nations Convention Against Torture
- International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Convention on the Rights of the Child
The Palestinians' accession to the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict will come into effect on May 7, while the two UN Covenants on Civil and Political Rights and on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights will take effect July 2, spokesman Rupert Colville said.
- Abbas signs appeals to UN bodies, in sign of collapsing peace talks
- Swiss, UN accept Palestinian requests to join international treaties
- Palestinians ready to widen global recognition bid
"Accession to the seven core treaties in the field of human rights and to a key protocol is an important step to strengthening the promotion and protection of human rights in Palestine," Colville said.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas signed letters of accession to 13 international treaties and conventions as well as the Geneva Conventions on April 1, after Israel postponed the release of the fourth group of Palestinian security prisoners meant to be freed March 29.
Their requests were approved by the Swiss government and the UN Secretary-General on April 10.
The move angered Israel, and increased tensions between the two sides amid collapsing peace talks, that have since reached their deadline with no results.
The "observer state" status granted to the Palestinians at the UN in November 2012 gives them access to join various international conventions and organizations.
Riyad Mansour, the Palestinian UN observer, said that the Palestinians are ready with more applications to join UN agencies, conventions and treaties depending on Israel's actions.
Ynetnews contributed to this report.