Rockets fired on Israel after Hamas agrees to humanitarian truce

Spokesperson for Gaza-based group says truce will start with the hour; earlier in the day, Hamas broke an Israeli-initiated ceasefire by firing rockets on Ashdod, Petah Tikvah.

Despite agreeing to a 24-hour humanitarian truce that was to start at 2pm, Hamas fired several rockets at Israel after the declared time. Israel called off its own 24-hour truce earlier in the day after the Gaza-based terrorist organization fired rockets into southern and central Israel.



Meanwhile, rockets continued raining down on southern Israel. A rocket hit a house in Sha'ar HaNegev Regional Council, lightly wounding a woman who was hit by shrapnel. The Iron Dome intercepted 4 rockets over Kiryat Gat. Hamas' armed wing took responsibilty for the rockets fired at Kiryat Gat, saying they were fired "because Israel violated the ceasefire."


Four rockets were then fired at Be'er Sheva, one intercepted and four others hit open areas. A man was lightly wounded from shrapnel to his back.



"In response to UN intervention and considering the situation of our people and the occasion of Eid, it has been agreed among resistance factions to endorse a 24-hour humanitarian calm, starting from 2 pm on Sunday," Sami Abu Zuhri told Reuters.


The UN envoy to the Middle East Process had sent Israel a request for a humanitarian ceasefire Sunday afternoon, after the IDF restarted its operations in the wake of the unilateral Israeli truce violated by Hamas.



An Israeli source confirmed Serry's request but emphasized that Hamas has to declare a ceasefire before the request would be considered. Israel has yet to respond to Hamas' declaration.


After the designated 2pm start-time, when rockets failed to stop falling, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said that "so far the humanitarian ceasefire hasn't come into effect. When it does, we'll announce it."


Roi Kais contributed to this report.


פרסום ראשון: 07.27.14, 13:31
 new comment
This will delete your current comment