Channels

Egypt court sentences seven jihadists to death in Sinai case

CAIRO - An Egyptian court has sentenced to death seven men, including prominent Islamist militant Adel Habara, over the killing of 25 policemen last year in an attack near the border with Israel, judicial sources said on Saturday.

 

The attack took place in August 2013 following the government's violent clearing of two protest camps in Cairo, where supporters of deposed Islamist president Mohamed Morsi had gathered to demand his reinstatement.

 

The court sentenced 25 others on related charges to prison for terms ranging from 15 years to life. Only 19 of those sentenced were present, including Habara, the sources said.

 


First published: 12.06.14, 14:27