The Jordianian government plans to reconsider its diplomatic stance because of developments at the Temple Mount, in order to take effective action "required to stop the Israeli attacks at al-Aqsa Mosque", Jordanian government sources told London-based newspaper al-Hayat.
The sources added that there is pressure in the parliament to take more drastic steps, recalling the Jordanian ambassador from Israel – which occurred last year.
The sources said Jordan's actions will be determined by developments on the ground. "Jordan's options for stopping the Israeli attacks are open," said the sources, who noted that Jordan has diplomatic and legal means to put an end to what they called Israeli provocations.
That said, the sources emphasized that Jordan is waiting for the end of the High Holy Days in Israel.
On the weekend, the Jordanian Foreign Ministry sent a strongly-worded missive to the Israeli Embassy in Amman regarding events at the Temple Mount.
Al-Hayat quoted members of Knesset from the Joint List who had met with Jordanian King Abdullah II regarding the Temple Mount, who said the king had told them he refused to accept three phone calls from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and urged them not to listen to any Israeli explanations of "the attack against al-Aqsa".
Worshipers: We are prevented from visiting mosque
Muslim worshipers have claimed that since the murder of Na'ama and Eitam Henkin in the West Bank on Thursday, the police have not permitted buses of worshipers to arrive at al-Aqsa Mosque because of "the tense atmosphere". Some have threatened a mass demonstration.
According to the allegations, every bus traveling to Jerusalem is sent back to where it departed. In one case, visitors from Umm al-Fahm had gotten close to Jerusalem, but, they said, a police officer did not allow them to enter the capital.
"He said there was an order by the commander of Jerusalem District Police that for the moment there is no possibility of continuing on to Jerusalem, following the problems and chaos at the Temple Mount," said one passenger.
Among the worshipers was one who said that there would be millions of martyrs at al-Aqsa Mosque. "We will not surrender and give up on our mosque and honor," he stated. "Even though we know that the police will send us back again, we will get on the buses every day and keep trying to get to pray there without being discouraged. The police forces' measures will not deter us."
Muhammad Salameh said that "since the incident in the West Bank the government has decided to punish all Muslims and the Palestinian people. We have the right to be in al-Aqsa in any event. We are not responsible for the murder of people. If the situation remains as it is, then it would be better to hold big demonstrations in the whole Arab sector in solidarity with al-Aqsa and against the decision not allowing us to go there by bus."
Police said in response: "Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan instructed us to increase preparedness of forces in Jerusalem and to make every effort to prevent riots and terror attacks in Gaza-adjacent communities and East Jerusalem. In addition the minister ordered increasing the awareness and preparedness of forces in mixed cities in order to prevent any attempt to breach order. The minister ordered increasing the presence of police forces around the Old City of Jerusalem so that there is no street in the old town area without a police presence".