Family of taxi driver murdered by Tel Aviv shooter demands evidence
On Wednesday it was cleared for publication that Amin Shaban, the taxi driver found murdered in north Tel Aviv shortly after the deadly shootings on Dizengoff Street last Friday, was killed by the same attacker. Now his family is demanding to see the footage from the taxi's camera from the time of the murder.
The taxi driver found murdered in north Tel Aviv last Friday was likely killed by the suspect in the Tel Aviv shooting that killed two on the same afternoon, it was cleared for publication Wednesday.
Police believe that Shaban, 42, from Lod, was murdered by Neshat Melhem after he fled the scene of the shooting attack in Tel Aviv's Dizengoff Street.
Now Shaban's family is demanding that the police hand over footage from the taxi's on-board camera that would likely have captured his murder.
"We asked for the recording of the murder, but the police are refusing to give it to us," said one of Shaban's relatives. "The taxi has a camera that films in every direction, and we have to get hold of this material, but unfortunately we've been unable to," he continued.
"We have a court hearing on the matter today," the relative added.
Shin Bet representatives and the police requested from the Tel Aviv Magistrates' Courts to partially lift the gag order on the investigation into the murders last Friday, and to permit the publication of the fact that Melshem also murdered Shaban. The gag order over the remaining details of the investigation has been extended.
Another of Shaban's relatives added: "Shaban was killed in cold blood. There is a price for a murder like this. Every family member is involved in the matter. The murdered will pay the price.
"If they find him I'd rather they murdered him than send him to jail," the relative added. "We are living in a very difficult atmosphere. It's hard for me to accept that the police and members of the security services have not found the murderer.
"Where could he have disappeared to? We also have our own people searching for him," he added.
He also said that many Jews had come to console the family, but that no oen from the suspect's home town had visited. "Unfortunately no one from Wadi Ara has come. They didn't even send someone to apologize in his name. It's very sad."
The relative also criticized the government for allowing the suspect's father to possess a firearm. "We paid a heavy price for it," he said.
On Wednesday, Nashat's brother Jodat was released from arrest without any conditions. "We had nothing to do with the terror attack," he said upon the release. "We are sorry for what happened."
Several members of the Melhem family had been arrested on Tuesday, including the father, Mohammed, on suspicion of acting as accessories to murder.
Nashat's mother was held for questioning by police, and was interrogated for over ten hours before being let go. "The interrogators put a great deal of pressure on her," a relative told Ynet.
The mother, a woman in her 50s, told her family that the police investigators threatened that her home would be demolished if she did not reveal where her son was hiding. "I told them we didn't know where he had disappeared to," the mother recounted to relatives.
The manhunt for Melhem is ongoing.