Channels

IDF searches for survivors in Tel Aviv building collapse

Third victim pulled from construction-site rubble, four still missing

Work continued throughout the night to locate and rescue survivors from a building collapse in the Ramat Hahayal neighborhood in Tel Aviv; so far, three victims have been pulled from the rubble, while more are feared trapped underneath.

Another body was found in the rubble of the collapsed building site in Tel Aviv in the early hours of Tuesday morning, bringing the body count to three.

 

 

Meanwhile a frantic search is still being carried out by rescuers to locate four missing persons. Hundreds of IDF Homefront Command search and rescue services are working around the clock to find them. Twenty-three people have been injured, and most of them have already been released from the hospital.

 

Over 500 IDF Homefront Command soldiers and officers are working around the clock to locate the missing construction workers. The IDF reported that they are working to extricate the body from the rubble. "We are in the golden hour," said Lt. Col. Yair Pinto of the Ram unit of the IDF Homefront Command. "We have another 12-14 hours (before the probability of finding survivors greatly diminishes), therefore we're putting in the maximum efforts we can."

 

The building collapse site (Photo: Dana Koppel)
The building collapse site (Photo: Dana Koppel)

 

Search and rescue IDF dog searching for survivors (Photo: Motti Kimchi)
Search and rescue IDF dog searching for survivors (Photo: Motti Kimchi)

At one point four hours after the building collapse, rescue services received a phone call from one of the people trapped underneath the rubble. Lt. Col. Yonatan Raz of the IDF Homefront Command said that "there was indeed a call, but it was cut off. We don't know if the trapped man has enough battery."

 

IDF Homefront Command searches for survivors (Photo: IDF Spokesperson's Unit
IDF Homefront Command searches for survivors (Photo: IDF Spokesperson's Unit

 

"We are still trying to find people alive in the collapse. We believe that there is always a chance of finding someone alive," said Lt. Col. Pinto.

 

Moment of the collapse    (צילום: חברת "בזמן אמת")

Moment of the collapse   (צילום: חברת "בזמן אמת")

סגורסגור

שליחה לחבר

 הקלידו את הקוד המוצג
תמונה חדשה

שלח
הסרטון נשלח לחברך

סגורסגור

הטמעת הסרטון באתר שלך

 קוד להטמעה:

"We won't leave until we find everyone, and we hope they'll be alive… the ones who were alive were on the upper levels, so it was easier to find and save them. The issue now is getting down to the first level, which is where several of the victims are."

 

Head of the IDF Homefront Command Maj. Gen. Yoel Strick said that " (we have) the best rescue personnel and with our experience – it can be seen here. We will not give up on our mission, and we will continue to be here for as long as necessary."

 

Netanyahu at the collapse site (Photo: Kobi Gideon)
Netanyahu at the collapse site (Photo: Kobi Gideon)

 

The head of the IDF Search and Rescue Unit, Lt. Col. (ret.) Dudi Mizrachi added "we will work until we pull the last victim out of the rubble."

 

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu arrived at the disaster site, deciding to go there as opposed to the European qualifying soccer match between Israel and Italy, and before a state visit to The Netherlands.

 

Netanyahu said "the (rescue operation) is of the highest quality, and the objective is to save human life. I think that we will learn a lot of lessons here, some of which have already been learned and implemented. We are not sparing any effort to save these people. We know where they are, and I hope and pray that we will reach them on time."

 

Yoav Zitun, Itay Blumental, Roten Elizera, Itamar Eichner, and Shahar Chai contributed to this report.

 


פרסום ראשון: 09.06.16, 09:37
 new comment
See all talkbacks "Third victim pulled from construction-site rubble, four still missing"
Warning:
This will delete your current comment