Policemen in Jerusalem

Police officers foil another stabbing attack in Jerusalem's Old City

A recently released video of the attack shows the terrorist trying to stab a police officer, while he was looking at his phone. The assailant was soon killed by the police; A policewoman is suffering from anxiety as a result; Last week, police officers arrested a 26-year-old terrorist from Hebron after he tried to stab civilians in Jerusalem's Old City.

According to the police, Ahmad Muhammad Mahamid, 30, tried to stab a policeman in Jerusalem's Old City on Friday. The attack took place at HaGai Street, near the Damascus Gate. The assailant was shot and killed by policemen. No one was hurt by the stabbing, except for a policewoman who is suffering from anxiety. A new video shows the terrorist took advantage of the officer's lack of attention when he jumped at him and tried to stab him.  



The police released the documentation of the attempted attack on Friday which shows the policeman looking at his cell phone and whispering, when the terrorist approaches him.


A video of the attack    (באדיבות דוברות המשטרה)

A video of the attack


שליחה לחבר

 הקלידו את הקוד המוצג
תמונה חדשה

הסרטון נשלח לחברך


הטמעת הסרטון באתר שלך

 קוד להטמעה:


The terrorist walked slowly, and when he recognized the policeman, he took the knife out of his pocket and tried to stab the officer. He did not succeed, and was soon shot and killed by the police.


Following the attack, the police issued a statement saying that "a suspicious person arrived at a police station in the Old City and apparently tried to stab one of the policemen. The terrorist was neutralized by police officers."


According to the police, the terrorist was a 30-year-old Israeli from Umm al-Fahm, and had no previous security charges filed against him. His relatives were questioned by the police and Shin Bet on Friday evening.


The terrorist left the Council Gate at the Temple Mount at about 5:30pm. He then noticed a group of policemen stationed a few meters away, and tried to stab one of them with the knife he was holding. After a fight between the police and the suspect, he was shot and killed by police officers at the scene.


The police responded to the incident by blocking the alleys surrounding the crime scene and opening an investigation into the identity of the terrorist.


Under the guidance of the commander of the Jerusalem District, Major General Yoram Halevy, a search was conducted throughout the Temple Mount area, and police removed people from the area.


Officers at the scene (Photo: TPS/ Daniel Gilo)
Officers at the scene (Photo: TPS/ Daniel Gilo)

Last week, police officers foiled another stabbing attack in Jerusalem's Old City. The officers arrested a 26-year-old Palestinian from Hebron who planned to stab Israeli civilians or security forces in the city.


The Palestinian aroused the officers' suspicion and they detained him for questioning. During a search, police found a knife and a tear gas canister in his possession.


His remand was extended by five days to allow police to complete the investigation.



Security in Jerusalem's Old City (Photo: Yoav Davidkovich)
Security in Jerusalem's Old City (Photo: Yoav Davidkovich)
"There's no doubt the arrest of the suspect and revealing his intentions prevented an attempt to carry out an attack in the Jerusalem area, the results of which could've been serious," the police said.


"The efforts to locate, prevent and thwart attempts by attackers and terror organizations to carry out terror attacks continue at all times in the Jerusalem area and in the nearby crossings," police added.


פרסום ראשון: 08.17.18, 18:22
 new comment
This will delete your current comment