Channels

Death toll in Nairobi attack climbs to 21, plus 5 attackers

The death toll from an extremist attack on a luxury hotel and shopping complex in Nairobi climbed to 21, plus the five terrorists killed, police said Wednesday in the aftermath of the brazen overnight siege by al-Shabab gunmen. Two people accused of facilitating the attack were arrested.

 

The number of those killed at the DusitD2 complex rose with the discovery of six more bodies at the scene and the death of a wounded police
officer, said Joseph Boinnet, inspector-general of Kenyan police. Twenty-eight people were hurt and taken to the hospital, he said.

 

In a televised address to the nation earlier in the day, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced that the all-night operation by security forces to retake the complex was over and that all of the extremists had been killed.

 


פרסום ראשון: 01.17.19, 08:33