CBS: Public funding of the arts at 82% - Israel Culture, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Pinching Pennies

(Illustration)
(Illustration) 
 
 

CBS: Public funding of the arts at 82%

Central Bureau of Statistics report shows staggering gap between State, public's investment in country's cultural endeavors

Avital Lahav
Published: 10.04.12, 07:47 / Israel Culture

A recent report by the Central Bureau of Statistics revealed that the State's investment in national cultural events covers only 18% of their costs. The rest – 82% - is funded by the public.

 

The government's budget for culture and sports events on a national level came to NIS 43.6 billion (approx. $10.8 billion) in 2011, which are 4.9% of Israel's GPD.

Analysis
The state of Israeli art today / Ashley Rindsberg
How do art market, rising artists and schools fit into puzzle of public life in Jewish state? Art appraiser and gallery owner Sima Simon explains
Full story

 

Within the budget, 68% of the funds finances shows, movies and live performances, and within that article, only 20% financed the arts.

 

Until a few years ago, the state devoted more resources to culture and sports, as they were part of the Education Ministry. When the latter was split to the Education Ministry and the Culture and Sports Ministry the budget was split as well, with the lion share going to education.

 

The education system is considered Israel's major culture consumer.

 

Still, in 2011, only 18% of the government expenditures funded Israeli culture.

 

According to the CBS, the public supplied NIS 35 billion ($8.7 billion) of all cultural funding in 2011.

 

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
1 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    למציאת מרחב ההתגוננות האישי שלכם »
    פיקוד העורף מזכיר: יש לחכות 10 דקות במרחב המוגן לפני שיוצאים החוצה
    רשימת יישובים במרחב