Hezbollah Chief Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah claimed responsibility Thursday for launching the drone aircraft that entered Israeli airspace earlier this week, a rare and provocative move by the Lebanese militants at a time of soaring regional tensions.
The aircraft was shot down by two IAF F-16I jets in an open area in the northern Negev region.
- Iran: Drone infiltration exposes Israeli weakness
Downed drone: Iran testing Israel's capabilities
Israel checking: Was drone headed to Dimona?
In an interview with al-Manar television, Nasrallah said that the drone was Iranian-made.
He added that the drone "Flew over sensitive installations" inside Israel.
"Today we are uncovering a small part of our capabilities, and we shall keep many more hidden," Nasrallah said.
"It is our natural right to send other reconnaissance flights inside occupied Palestine… This is not the first time and will not be the last. We can reach any place we want" inside Israel, he said.
Nasrallah said the drone "flew hundreds of kilometers until it penetrated (Israel's) south."
The aircraft, which the Hezbollah leader made a point of describing as "bigger and better" than the one used in a similar attempt in 2006, was flying according to a pre-programmed route and was able to "get very close to the Dimona reactor."
Earlier Thursday Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel is "Determined to protect our borders on land, in the air and at sea, as we did when we intercepted Hezbollah's attempt to send a drone into our airspace."
Netanyahu spoke while touring the Israel-Egypt border.
- Ynetnews updates directly
to your desktop