HRW insists that UN stop weapons flow to Syria - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Civil War

United Nations Photo: Dana Zimmerman
United Nations Photo: Dana Zimmerman
 
 

HRW insists that UN stop weapons flow to Syria

Indescriminate attacks in Syria incite Human Rights Watch to call for arms embargo on Syrian factions.

AFP
Published: 04.29.14, 11:58 / Israel News

The New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) approached the United Nations Tuesday urging the international community to block the flow of arms to the Syrian government and any group committing abuses against civilians in the war-torn country where an estimated 150,000 people have been killed in the past three years.

 

 

The HRW said that it had documented 85 aerial attacks by the regime against opposition areas in northern Aleppo province since February 22 alone.

 

“The Security Council should impose an arms embargo on Syria’s government, as well as on any groups implicated in widespread or systematic human rights abuses,” HRW said.

 

Related stories:

 

Its statement comes more than two months after a February 22 Security Council resolution demanding an end to attacks on civilian areas.

 

HRW said that since then it “has documented at least 85 strike sites in (opposition-held) neighborhoods of Aleppo city… including two government barrel bomb attacks on clearly marked official hospitals”.

 

The strikes, most reportedly involving “unguided, high-explosive barrel bombs”, have hit civilians and civilian objects “indiscriminately”.

 

Photo: Dana Zimmerman
Photo: Dana Zimmerman

 

The group said attacks that cannot distinguish between fighters and civilians are “unlawful”.

 

Such attacks “continue despite a United Nations Security Council Resolution unanimously passed on February 22, 2014, demanding that all parties in Syria cease the indiscriminate use of barrel bombs and other weapons in populated areas,” HRW said.

 

Syrian government forces launched an aerial offensive last December, mainly targeting opposition areas.

 

Hundreds of people, mainly civilians, have been killed in these attacks. Thousands of families have also fled into the countryside and for neighboring Turkey to the north.

 

The HRW’s statement came a day after President Bashar Assad registered to stand for re-election next month.

 

“President Assad is talking about elections, but for Aleppo’s residents, the only campaign they are witnessing is a military one of barrel bombs and indiscriminate shelling,” HRW deputy Middle East and North Africa director Nadim Houry said.

 

The rights group said the supply of arms to rebel groups that have committed systematic abuses must also stop.

 

 

It said that “at least some of the improvised weapons used (by rebels fighting an offensive on government areas in Aleppo) are prone to indiscriminate effects when used to attack populated residential areas”.

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
1 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions