Photo: Noam Moskowitz
Jewish worshippers at Joseph's Tomb, earlier this week
Photo: Noam Moskowitz

Joseph's Tomb shooting reenacted

Convoy of police vehicles enters Nablus under tight security with three of Breslov Hasidim who infiltrated holy site on night Ben-Yosef Livnat was killed. Reenactment held without Palestinian police

The police on Thursday night reenacted the shooting incident at Joseph's Tomb on Passover, which left Breslov Hasid Ben-Yosef Livnat dead.


The three Palestinian police officer who fired at the Jewish worshippers that infiltrated the compound did not take part in the reenactment.


A convoy of security vehicles gathered at the entrance to the West Bank city of Nablus with three of the Hasidim who entered the tomb that night.


After a reenactment which lasted several hours, the convoy turned back in the early morning hours. There were no reports of disturbances on the part of Nablus' residents.


A Judea and Samaria District Police official clarified that the reenactment was part of the investigation into the shooting incident, which has yet to be completed.


According to the initial investigation, 19 Jewish worshippers arrived at Joseph's Tomb in three vehicles, ignored the Palestinian police's order to stop at an improvised roadblock. The Palestinian police officers then opened fire at them.


The army avoided referring to the incident as a "terror attack", although Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Culture and Sports Minister Limor Livnat, whose nephew was killed in the shooting, referred to the Palestinian policemen as "murderers".


Nablus Governor Jibrin al-Bakri confirmed to Ynet that the policemen who were involved in the shooting were still in detention and awaiting their trial.


According to the governor, the Palestinian Authority has completed its investigation into the incident and ruled that none of the officers had planned to carry out a terror attack against Israelis.


He accused the settlers of provoking the policemen stationed near the tomb, throwing stones at them and trying to snatch their weapons, causing the policemen to fire warning shots in the air.


Al-Bakri added that they only found out that one of the worshippers was killed and three others were injured when they were informed about it by the Israeli forces.


Elior Levy contributed to this report



פרסום ראשון: 05.06.11, 10:42
 new comment
This will delete your current comment