Murder suspect Levi Aron
Photo: AP

Police: NYC boy possibly tied up before his death

Investigators believe Leiby Kletzky, 8, may have been tied up, tried to fight off assailant before murder. Suspect Levi Aron hasn’t expressed remorse

Investigators believe an 8-year-old boy who was abducted and dismembered may have been tied up and tried to fight off his captor before he was killed, police officials said Thursday.


At a news conference, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the man charged in the killing, Levi Aron, had scratches on his arms, wrists and elsewhere on his body — a sign "there was some kind of struggle." There also were marks on the Brooklyn boy's remains that could have been caused by restraints, the commissioner added.



A preliminary medical examination indicates Leiby Kletzky was "smothered or suffocated," but it remained unclear when that happened, Kelly said.


Kelly also confirmed reports that Aron had given a written confession in Leiby's gruesome slaying that ended with, "I'm sorry for the hurt that I caused."


Beyond that, "he hasn't expressed any remorse," Kelly said.


Leiby vanished late Monday afternoon after getting lost during what was supposed to have been a seven-block walk from his day camp to where his mother was waiting for him.


New York Police Department investigators later used a surveillance video to trace the missing boy to Aron, a hardware supply store clerk whom the boy had apparently asked for directions.


Detectives found the boy's severed feet, wrapped in plastic, in the man's freezer, as well as a cutting board and three bloody carving knives. A plastic garbage bag with bloody towels was nearby.

Levi Aron in court. No expression of remorse (Photo: AP)


Aron, 35, told investigators that after taking Leiby off the street Monday, he brought the boy to a wedding in the suburb of Monsey and spent several hours there, Kelly said. Other guests at the wedding confirmed Aron was there but didn't see the boy, the commissioner added.


By the time the pair returned to the city, it was so late that Aron decided to take Leiby to his home to sleep and left him there Tuesday when he went to work, according to the police version of the confession. Kelly said the hardware supply store confirmed that he showed up as usual that day.


The suspect told police he killed Leiby when he got home after being spooked by a massive search for the boy in his tight-knit Hasidic community in Borough Park.


"When I saw the fliers, I panicked and was afraid," he said, according to police.


Aron also recounted how he dismembered Leiby in details Kelly said were too "grotesque" to make public.


Suspect denies molestation

In his confession, Aron described how he put some of the body parts in a freezer and took a shower, police said. He then put some remains in a suitcase and drove around with it for 20 minutes before putting the suitcase in a trash bin.


Aron has denied he molested the boy, but Kelly said police still consider that a possibility.


Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said he plans to charge Aron with felony murder and was also investigating whether he might have had any improper contact with children in the past.


Aron's lawyer, Pierre Bazile, said he expected his client to be arraigned Thursday.


"From the Aron family, they'd like to extend their condolences to the family of the boy," he said, adding they would let the justice system work and wouldn't make any further statements.



פרסום ראשון: 07.15.11, 09:53
 new comment
This will delete your current comment