Photo: AFP
Samir Awad's body
Photo: AFP

West Bank: Palestinian youth killed in clash with IDF

Palestinian sources say 17 year old killed during clash with soldiers in Budrus village; army says teen tried to cross security fence

A Palestinian youth was shot to death during clashes that erupted Tuesday morning between Palestinian youngsters and Israeli security forces in the Palestinian village Budrus, located north of Modi'in. The teen's body was transferred to a hospital in the West Bank city of Ramallah. According to the Palestinians, he was killed by IDF gunfire.


Related articles:


The IDF Spokesperson's Office said: "An infiltration attempt occurred during the morning hours near Budrus, northwest of Ramallah. An IDF force securing the fence carried out the procedure for arresting suspects, which included gunfire. Later, a report saying a Palestinian was injured from the gunfire was received. The circumstances of the incident are being examined."


גופתו של הנער (צילום: AFP)

Palestinian teen's body (Photo: AFP)


An initial examination of the incident by the army revealed that an IDF force was alerted to the security fence near Budrus after a Palestinian was seen trying to cross it. The soldiers said the Palestinian was trying to cut the fence and ordered him to stop. When he ignored their calls, the troops apparently opened fire in his direction. Army officials said an investigation has been launched.


It remains unclear whether the Palestinian was armed. The IDF recently clarified the rules of engagement for forces operating in the West Bank for fear of growing Palestinian violence in the region.


Budrus resident Iad Murar told Ynet that a group of teenagers who had just ended their school day approached the security fence near the village, where they encountered an IDF ambush. According to Murar, the students did not notice the soldiers or throw stones at them.


However, another Palestinian source said the teens did throw stones at the soldiers and that a clash ensued.


Various Palestinian sources said the soldiers opened fire at the group of teenagers. Two bullets hit Samir Awad, 17, in the chest, and another two hit his legs, the sources claimed.


On Saturday a Palestinian youth was shot and killed by IDF troops south of Mount Hebron in the West Bank on Saturday.


According to Palestinian sources, the youth was shot as he attempted to flee soldiers on patrol in the area while he was on his way to Israel for work.


He was taken to the Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba, where he died of his wounds.


The IDF said that around 3 pm the Palestinian attempted enter Israel illegally by breaching the security fence near the Meitar Crossing. An army unit that was dispatched to the scene initiated suspect arrest protocol, but the youth refused to heed the soldiers' calls, prompting them to fire warning shots in the air.


When the suspect attempted to run, they shot his lower limbs, injuring him critically. He was unarmed.


You can contact Elior Levy, Ynet's Palestinian Affairs Correspondent, at: [email protected]



פרסום ראשון: 01.15.13, 13:08
 new comment
This will delete your current comment