Activity in North Korea appears to show it is preparing for a fourth nuclear test, with movement at its atomic test site similar to events preceding earlier blasts, a newspaper reported on Monday, quoting a senior South Korean government official.
North Korea has intensified warnings in recent weeks, declaring it had entered a state of war with Seoul, threatening to strike US targets and blocking access to a border factory complex jointly run with the South.
- Report: US detects shift in Chinese support for North Korea
- North Korea increases artillery production
- US: No surprise if North Korea conducts new missile test
"There are recent active movements of manpower and vehicles at the southern tunnel at Punggye-ri," South Korea's JoongAng Ilbo newspaper quoted an unidentified government official as saying. The official was referring to North Korea's nuclear test site.
Ballistic missiles continue to worry US (Photo: AFP)
"We are monitoring because the situation is similar to behavior seen prior to the third nuclear test," the official was quoted as saying. It was unclear, the official told the newspaper, whether the activities were intended to mislead US surveillance.
The North's Feb. 12 nuclear test prompted tougher UN sanctions and triggered a hostile response from Pyongyang.
South Korea's defense minister told lawmakers in February, after the third nuclear test, that an additional test was possible.
Pyongyang moved what appeared to be a mid-range Musudan missile to its east coast, according to media reports last week.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop