Photo: Arnon Segal
Yehuda Glick this morning at the Temple Mount (PhotoL: Yehuda Segal)
Photo: Arnon Segal

Glick visits Temple Mount for first time since attempt on his life

Right-wing activist acquitted of attacking a Palestinian woman, thus vacating ban on him visiting the site where he was shot in October 2014; court also rules that he cannot receive NIS 500,000 payment over the ban.

Yehuda Glick visited the Temple Mount on Tuesday for the first time since an attempt on his life in October 2014. The right-wing activist was acquitted last week of a charge that he attacked a Palestinian woman at the compound, thus cancelling the restraining order barring him from visiting the site.  



The alleged incident took place two months before the assassination attempt. On August 31, 2014, Zoya Badarna, a 67-year-old resident of Araba, accused Glick of pushing her, knocking her down and breaking her arm at the Temple Mount. Police prosecutors filed an indictment against him, charging him with assault and he was expelled from the Temple Mount until the end of proceedings.


Yehuda Glick this morning on the Temple Mount (Photo : Arnon Segal) (Photo : Arnon Sega)
Yehuda Glick this morning on the Temple Mount (Photo : Arnon Segal)


Glick, represented by public defender Yitzhak Bam, denied the accusation and said the police chose to believe her story in order stop his controversial visits to the Temple Mount. Although the complex is full of security cameras, and his arrival on the scene that day was documented both by the police and by the Palestinians who were present, the prosecution could not present the court with any photographic evidence indicating that Glick had attacked the plaintiff.


(Photo: Arnon Segal)
(Photo: Arnon Segal)


Recently, after significant discrepancies were discovered in the woman's testimony, the police prosecution withdrew the indictment and the Jerusalem Magistrates Court acquitted Glick of all charges.


Over his years of activity in favor of Jewish prayer on the Temple Mount, Glick often encountered the government, police and the courts. The Jerusalem District Court ruled that Glick will not receive compensation from the police of half a million shekels he had been awarded because of the ban on him at the beginning of the decade to go on the Temple Mount.


The judges accepted the appeal filed by the police and reversed the decision that was made at the Magistrates Court, but explained that the ban was obtained under reasonable circumstances and was not grounds for compensation. However, Glick himself may continue the proceedings and appeal to the High Court of Justice.





פרסום ראשון: 03.01.16, 12:07
 new comment
This will delete your current comment