Photo: Herzel Yosef

Migrant rapes woman after being released from custody

Sudanese national, arrested in March for rape in Tel Aviv, was arrested in 2012 for indecent exposure, shortly later released; suspect identified via DNA sample

The Tel Aviv Magistrates' Court on Sunday extended the remand of Omar Jihad Omar, 23, a Sudanese migrant suspected of raping a woman from the Philippines near the Tel Aviv central bus station in March.


Omar was arrested in June 2012 after a woman claimed he had exposed himself to her in Rehovot. Though he denied the allegations, Omar was tried for indecent exposure.


Related stories:


Rehovot police recommended in 2012 that Omar be released on bail, and the Rehovot Magistrates' Court indeed released him, setting personal recognizance at NIS 2,000 (roughly $550) and bail at NIS 5,000 (roughly $1,400).


Rehovot Magistrates' Court Judge Iriya Mordechai noted that "The police will make sure that the suspect receives his visa back after police file a copy and inform the Interior Ministry of the investigation."


Since the suspect only had NIS 300 (some $83), he was held in custody and was brought in front of another judge the next day. The judge, Petah Tikva Magistrates' Court Judge Sharon Kesar, reduced the recognizance to NIS 300 and placed the suspect in house arrest for five days at his home in Gedera.


As part of the 2012 investigation, police took Omar's DNA sample, which matched samples taken from the Rehovot rape victim.


Omar was arrested in 2011 after having illegally infiltrated into Israel, but was immediately released by immigration authorities under the condition that he cooperate with the Immigration Authority until a travel document is issued for him.


Though his document expired in September 2012, three months after he had been arrested for indecent exposure, Omar continued to stay in Israel.



  • Receive Ynetnews updates directly to your desktop


פרסום ראשון: 04.07.13, 19:56
 new comment
This will delete your current comment