Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and its Islamist allies called for more protests on Tuesday, after at least 51 people were killed in Cairo on Monday when the army opened fire on supporters of ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi.
Meanwhile, Egypt's interim leader Adly Mansour has outlined his timetable for new elections. His
decree says a panel to amend the constitution must be formed within 15 days and general elections could then be held by February.
Morsi supporters blame the military for opening fire on them outside the Republican Guard compound where the former president is believed to be held. He was ousted by the military on Wednesday. The army said it opened fire in response to an attack on its soldiers.
- Egypt army: We didn't kill children
- US 'not ready to label Morsi overthrow as coup'
- Op-ed: Scary future ahead
"In protest against the military coup that was followed by suppressive actions, topped by the Republican Guard massacre that took place at dawn, we call on all citizens and honorable people to protest on Tuesday across Egypt," Hatem Azam, a spokesman for a coalition led by the Muslim Brotherhood, told a news conference.
After Monday morning’s violence, thousands of demonstrators arrived at Cairo's Rabaa Al-Adaweya square, the site of an ongoing demonstration in support of ousted president Morsi. “I will teach my children that the army stole my president, stole my constitution, stole my voice and killed by brother,” said Hassan Ali, a protester who arrived at the square after hearing the news of the bloodshed.
Video courtesy of jn1.tv
Demonstrators directed most of their anger at Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. “There is no god but Allah, and al-Sisi is an enemy of Allah,” chanted demonstrators in the square.
Hundreds of meters away, on Tayaran Street, more demonstrators gathered at a barbed wire fence that separated them and the Republican Guard, near where Monday’s clashes occurred.
Brotherhood protest in Cairo (Photo: Getty Imagebank)
“Down with al-Sisi, killer of protesters,” chanted some of the protesters, in reference to the violence, which Morsi’s supporters claim had been instigated by soldiers during dawn prayers.
“We reject this coup d’etat,” said Ahmed Mohamed, a protester who had made his way near the barricade where soldiers were stationed. “This is not our army’s fault but the fault of its corrupt leaders.”
Tahrir Square demonstration (Photo: Reuters)
“They are shooting us now because they want us to stop coming to support President Morsi, but today they will learn that we will keep coming even if they don’t like it,” said Youssef Abdallah, a demonstrator who added that the Islamists’ cause would only strengthen after the fatalities.
The Egyptian health ministry and army denied that women and children were among those killed Monday, but supporters of Morsi said the security forces fired on hundreds of protesters, including women and children, at the sit-in encampment as they performed early morning prayers.
"They opened fire with live ammunition and lobbed tear gas," said Al-Shaimaa Younes, who was at the sit-in. "There was panic and people started running. I saw people fall."
Meanwhile, former finance minister Samir Radwan has emerged as the favorite to become Egypt's interim prime minister, senior political sources said on Monday, as the military-backed transitional administration seeks a way out of political deadlock.
Radwan said he had not yet been approached. Interim head of state Adly Mansour has been trying since last week to form a temporary government that can guide the country towards fresh elections at a time of growing unrest, triggered by Morsi's overthrow.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop