Egyptian security agencies say that the Dahab terrorist attacks were carried out by three suicide bombers – Bedouins from northern Sinai, killing 24 people and injuring a further 85, the Egyptian newspaper al-Ahram reported Wednesday morning.
The investigation is now focusing on uncovering those responsible for the attack. Egyptian security forces set up an ambush in central Sinai and succeeded in capturing three individuals they suspect were connected with the attack: Muamin Ali, Karim Abdullah, and Majad Mahmoud, who had injury marks on his body. The three were arrested and transferred for interrogation in order to clarify what their exact connection was to the attack.
Mubarak and his wife visiting the injured (Photo: Reuters)
A security source told Egyptian television that security agencies arrested ten people in total suspected of being involved in the terrorist attacks, and they are now being interrogated. The investigation is focusing around the identities of the three suicide bombers, who used bags to hide their explosives, causing their remains to be scattered.
Bedouin I.D. found
The newspaper also reported that among the scene of the casualties, an identity card of a Bedouin man from northern Sinai was found. Security forces are trying to check, through DNA tests, to see whether this was one of the suicide bombers. Immediately after the attack, Egyptian security forces speculated that the suicide terrorists belonged to a local terror group, which is not connected to international terror organizations. Other security agencies said that trail led to al-Qaeda.
Only last week Egyptian television interrupted its programming with an urgent message from the Egyptian interior ministry saying that Islamic extremist terror activity had been uncovered. "Security forces arrested 22 people recently who were activists in al-Taifa al-Mansura (The Victorious Sect) with an extremist ideology. The activists were arrested in various neighborhoods in Cairo and in Haluan south of Cairo," the broadcast said.
In the last day Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and his wife visited a Sharm el-Sheikh hospital in order to check the condition of the injured. He ordered the hospital to give the injured the best possible treatment, and for seriously injured people to be transferred for complex treatment in Cairo. Mubarak also ordered all needed relief to be supplied.