Channels

צילום: רויטרס
Last year's parade
Photo: Reuters
J’lem gay parade called off due to war
Open House announces cancellation of parade, which was scheduled for August 10, but says other gay pride events will take place as planned. ‘We are determined to fight for our right to march in Jerusalem this year,’ organization’s director says
The Open House Organization announced Friday that the World Pride parade, which was scheduled to take place on August 10 in Jerusalem, has been called off due to the war in Lebanon.

 

However, the other gay pride events will take place as scheduled, the group said in a statement.

 

“This is not the time for celebrations,” Open House said. “The parade, which requires extensive security, will not take place due to the situation.”

 

The organization said the parade will be held with the improvement of the security situation in the country.

 

“The gay pride events will take place as scheduled in a format that is sensitive to the situation and as part of the continued democratic struggle for a free Jerusalem,” the statement said. “These events, along with the conventions, exhibits, performances and film festival will all take place as planned.”

 

Open House Director Hagai Elad said, “we are determined to fight for our right to march in Jerusalem this year; we will not succumb to the violent incitement against our community and against all the proponents of democracy in Jerusalem.” 

 

 new comment
See all talkbacks "J’lem gay parade called off due to war"
Warning:
This will delete your current comment