Organization rejected US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's speech saying that 'she is one leading diplomatic war. She has decision to bring about ceasefire, end of aggression at her fingertips. In fact, she is giving second chance to Israel and her frustrated army to attack'
Hizbullah responded Monday to US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's speech at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, saying: "It is obvious that Rice is the one leading the diplomatic war. The decision to bring about a ceasefire and an end of aggression is at her fingertips. It seems as though Rice is not satisfied with the killing of children that occurred in Qana."
Resolving Lebanon War
Rice: Time to reach truce after Qana bombing / Reuters
World condemns IDF strike in Lebanese village of Qana. French president: Unjustified action. Jordanian king: Ugly crime that is a gross violation of all international statutes
"Rice cannot decide for Lebanon what Lebanon must do, and won't be able to impose a buffer zone or security area on Lebanon," said Hizbulla Member of Parliament Hassan Fadlallah in an interview with al-Jazeera. "As we heard Sunday, Ehud Olmert requested an extension of ten more days because the Israeli army has not registered any accomplishment that satisfies the American government. The deferral of the Security Council essentially gives Israel and her frustrated army, who has ruined infrastructure in Lebanon but has not successfully thwarted the resistance, a second chance."
Fadlallah explained that the Lebanese stance and the stance of the resistance is clear – there will be no discussion of a political option, of negotiation, or of political clauses before Israeli aggression is stopped. "We want all of Lebanon to be safe. The Israeli army and the US are those attacking Lebanon. The one responsible for deciding how to exercise its sovereignty is the State of Lebanon and her people.
"Rice is attempting to impose conditions that have already failed from the outset - the attempt to disarm Hizbullah and to push them back. We have not changed our basic stance, which asserts that first and foremost the aggression must be put to an end, only after which we may discuss all other clauses. On this note, one must note that the United States did not condemn what happened in Qana. We even heard condemnations from Israeli journalists, but not from the US."
Foreign Minister Fawzi Salloukh also rejected Rice's words. "There is nothing new in these things. She already presented them in discussions she held with us during her visit last week. We are all committed to the decision of the Lebanese government to call for an immediate ceasefire, and that the Security Council must make a firm decision on the issue. From there, we may discuss all the other issues.
"Rice is giving another signal here to Olmert, who requested another 10 days to fulfill his mission of essentially killing more Lebanese civilians. It seems as though the two of them were not satisfied with the first massacre in Qana in 1996, and so carried out another one."
The Qatari Ambassador to Lebanon, Nassir Abdulaziz al-Nasser, said that the discussion held Sunday in the Security Council provides a basis for a decision that could end the war in Lebanon. According to him, it won't be an easy decision in light of the antagonism that has erupted among members of the UN body.