Medical sources in Gaza said IDF forces attacked Monday morning a target in Jabalya, killing 17-year-old Mahmoud Ashrafi and wounding seven other Palestinians, mostly teenagers.
The Palestinian sources said the IDF fired a missile from the air, while army officials claimed the attack was launched by ground forces.
The IDF said soldiers spotted a Qassam-firing cell that planned to collect launchers used in Sunday’s rocket attack on Sderot; the force proceeded to open fire at the suspects and identified a hit, according to the IDF.
Meanwhile, it was reported that the ongoing IDF operation in Beit Hanoun is expected to conclude in a number of days; army officials have expressed their satisfaction with its results, despite the fact that the Qassam attacks on the western Negev have not ceased. On Monday Palestinians in Gaza fired another Qassam rocket toward Israel; the rocket landed in an open field near Kibbutz Yad Mordechai; no injuries were reported.
The Palestinians, who refer to the operation as a “massacre,” said some 50 people have been killed so far and called on the international community to intervene. On Sunday the captors of Corporal Gilad Shalit said the operation is endangering his life.
It is estimated that an even broader IDF operation is in the cards, although it has not received cabinet approval as of yet.