IDF: Malfunction possible cause of Gaza incident - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Investigation

Attack on Beit Hanoun Photo: AP
Attack on Beit Hanoun Photo: AP
 
 

IDF: Malfunction possible cause of Gaza incident

Army investigating deadly Beit Hanoun shelling incident; ‘one possibility is that there was a malfunction in one of our targeting devices,’ Southern Command Chief Yoav Galant says

Hanan Greenberg
Latest Update: 11.08.06, 20:24 / Israel News

The IDF is investigating Wednesday’s north Gaza shelling incident that left 18 Palestinians dead.

 

Southern Command Chief Maj.-Gen. Yoav Galant told reporters that, “one possibility is that there was a malfunction in one of our targeting devices.”

 

Beit Hanoun
Olmert: Sorry for civilian deaths in Gaza / Ronny Sofer
Prime minister expresses his regret following IDF shelling in Beit Hanoun, which killed 18 civilians. Olmert, Peretz offer PA humanitarian aid, immediate medical treatment for injured. Diplomatic sources: Timing of tragic event 'problematic' due to PM's upcoming meeting with Bush in Washington
Full Story
“So far our examination has revealed that the forces targeted an area located some 500 meters from the actual point of impact,” Galant said, adding that the malfunction may have been in the adjustment or targeting devices.

 

“It was estimated during the morning hours that Palestinians will attempt to fire Qassams from this area toward Ashkelon or some other area,” he said. “When you fire artillery shells toward this area there is a good chance that you are preventing an attack.”

 


Many children wre killed in strike (Photo: Reuters)

 

Defense Minister Amir Peretz convened a security establishment meeting during which he instructed Chief of Staff Dan Halutz to submit a report on the incident by Thursday evening. He also ordered the immediate opening of the Rafah crossing in Gaza.

 

International community responds

Following the fatal strike, the White House called on Israel to act with restraint in Gaza and expressed hope that Israel would quickly complete investigations into the incident.

 

Gordon Johndroe, spokesman for the White House National Security Council, called for restraint by all parties, adding: "We deeply regret the injuries and loss of life in Gaza today. We have seen the Israeli government's apology and hope their investigation will be completed quickly."

 

“We call on all sides to show restraint and avoid harming civilians,” he said.

 

The British response was rather more severe. Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett said she was deeply disturbed by the deaths of Palestinian civilians.

 

"Israel must respect its obligation to avoid harming civilians. It is hard to see what this action was meant to achieve and how it can be justified," Beckett said.

 

French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said France "condemns the indiscriminate artillery fire inside inhabited areas which occurred in violation of international humanitarian law and notably the Geneva Conventions".

 

France and Britain also criticised the continuing rocket attacks by Palestinian cells into Israel.

 

First Published: 11.08.06, 20:02

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
69 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions