Statistics report: Less enlisting to army - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Statistics Report

146,000 babies Photo: Getty Images, Bank of Israel
146,000 babies Photo: Getty Images, Bank of Israel
 
20,000 immigrants Photo: Niv Calderon
20,000 immigrants Photo: Niv Calderon
 
 

Statistics report: Less enlisting to army

Report by Central Bureau of Statistics reveals growing population, more poverty among children, less enlisting to army

Ynet
Published: 12.28.06, 18:22 / Israel News

The Central Bureau of Statistics published its annual report on Thursday, just before the start of 2007.

 

The data revealed that at the end of 2006, 76 percent of Israel's residents were Jewish (5,393,600 people) 20 percent were Arabs (1,413,500 people) and 4 percent were of other nationalities (309,100 people).

Report
Israel 2006: More kids under poverty line  / Moran Rada
National Council for the Child presents PM with annual report on Israel's youth. 2.3 mil. children live in Israel at end of 2005, 35 percent under poverty line
Full Story

 

Israel's population growth rate for 2006 was 1.8 percent. A similar rate has been recorded since 2003 up to 2005. During the year, some 146,300 babies were born.

 

During 2006 some 19,900 new immigrants arrived in Israel, similar to the number of new immigrants in the years 2004 and 2005.

 

In total, Israel's population was increased by some 125,000 people in 2006, most a result of natural reproduction (88 percent) and the rest (12 percent) were immigrants.

 

More poor children, less enlisting to army 

On Wednesday, The National Council for the Child presented its 2006 annual statistics report containing information on Israel's youth.

 

The report revealed that more than a third of Israeli children are living under the poverty line. The data showed that in the year 2005, 35 percent of the children living in Israel were considered poor, as opposed to 33 percent in the previous year.

 

A drop in the percentage of teenagers enlisting to the army has also been recorded, out of all the candidates for military service the percentage has dropped to below 78 percent.

 

Eighty percent of the youth own a mobile phone and the favorite pastime for 82 percent of the youth is going out to shopping malls.

 

The National Council for the Child's data reported that by the end of 2005 there were 2,326,400 children living in Israel. Although in the previous years an increase in the number of children in the population has been recorded, a drop in their percentage of the whole population has also been noted.

 

While in 1907 children made up 39.2 percent of the population, in 2005 they only made up 33.3 percent. This drop occurred in all population groups, including the Muslim population, where a drop from 58.7 percent in 1970, to 48.8 percent in 2005 was recorded.

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
3 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions