Previous attack on factory
Photo: Tsafrir Abayov
Man lightly injured in mortar attack on Negev kibbutz
Factory in Nir Oz hit for second time in a week by two mortars fired from Gaza; workers evacuated after fire breaks out. 'Government must put an end to the attacks launched against us,' kibbutz secretary says

A week after the deadly attack on the Nirlat factory in the western Negev kibbutz of Nir Oz, two mortars fired from Gaza landed at the site Wednesday morning, leaving one person lightly wounded from shrapnel.


Factory workers were evacuated from the area after a fire erupted as a result of the mortar landing. Magen David Adom paramedics treated the wounded man at the scene and then evacuated him to Beersheba's Soroka Medical Center.


Kibbutz secretary Haim Peri told Ynet following the attack that "the factory is within the (mortars') range and there is nothing we can do about it, unless the government decides to act toward putting an end to the attacks launched against us.


"I hope the workers will not be afraid to go back to work. This is the reality that we live in," he said.










Tal Dagan, who works near the factory, said "I hear two landings, and it is a very frightening feeling. There is no warning (system) and no way to run for cover. We cannot carry on this way."


Meanwhile in Jerusalem, a few dozen western Negev residents were holding a rally outside the Prime Minister's Office, during which they called on the cabinet to decide on its response to the escalation in the south..


Earlier on Wednesday Palestinian sources in Gaza reported that a 9-year-old girl was killed by IDF tank fire in Khan Younis. 


 new comment
See all talkbacks "Man lightly injured in mortar attack on Negev kibbutz"
This will delete your current comment