A 59-year-old Israeli woman was lightly-to-moderately wounded in the Yad Mordechai area on Thursday afternoon as Palestinian terror groups launched a barrage of mortar shells and Qassam rockets against Israeli communities near the Gaza border.
The injured woman was evacuated to the Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon for treatment.
At least 40 mortars and 25 Qassams landed in Israel, primarily in the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council, a number of fires have broken out as a result. A member of Kibbutz Nahal Oz told Ynet that residents have currently been instructed to remain in bomb shelters and fortified rooms.
One of the mortars landed in Palestinian territory near the Erez crossing, lightly injuring a Palestinan. Magen David Adom paramedics asked to treat the wounded man but were denied access.
In addition, a missile, apparently of a type "Grad" landed near Ashkelon. No injuries were reported but a number of people suffered from shock. The city's alert system did not sound prior to the missile's landing.
"This is an impossible situation and it cannot continue," Hof Ashkelon Regional Council head Yair Farjoun said. "I think it's time for the security establishment officials to stop talking and begin taking action."
Meanwhile, IDF forces opened fire at a vehicle approaching the security fence in northern Gaza in an apparent attempt to infiltrate Israel. The forces identified a hit.
Hamas threatened it would respond to the explosion that occurred in Beit Lahiya earlier in the day, in which three people were killed and over 40 were wounded. However Israel continues to maintain its forces
did not launch the alleged airstrike and military officials estimated the explosion was likely the result of a Palestinian 'work accident.'
Hamas spokesman and member of its legislative council, Mushir al-Masri warned that Israel "will pay a hefty price for the crime it committed in Beit Lahiya. The Palestinian resistance organizations knew how to exact the price.”