The High Court of Justice dismissed Monday evening a petition filed by the family of kidnapped IDF soldier Gilad Shalit against the ceasefire agreement between Israel and armed Palestinian groups in Gaza, which went into effect Thursday morning.
The Shalit family filed the appeal after it was made know that it did not include a prisoner exchange deal that would bring Gilad home.
Gilad's father said following the court's ruling that the family has yet to decide on what its next steps will be. "I just heard about it (ruling) on the news. I don’t know what to do next or how to react," Noam Shalit told Ynet.
In the appeal, filed Saturday, the family claimed that the reopening of the Gaza crossings constituted a blatant violation of of commitments made to the family by the government as well as a divergence from the decision made by the Ministerial Defense Committee last week.
Earlier the Shalit family asked the court to extend its decision from Sunday according to which the crossings would remain closed pending further deliberation.
The State's representative said during the court hearing that "any delay of the ceasefire arrangements could be disastrous; therefore, we believe that there is no room for the court to intervene in the cabinet’s decision."
Meanwhile, Noam Shalit slammed former IDF Chief of Staff Moshe Yaalon over his statement that security prisoners should not be released as part of prisoner exchange deals in which the demanded "price" is too high.
“Yaalon was an army commander but today he is mainly a politician and a public activist. He and anyone else can determine a POW’s fate only if it concerns their own son,” Noam Shalit said.