Israel closes Gaza crossings over rocket fire - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Truce?

More than 20 rockets since truce Photo: Ze'ev Trachtman
More than 20 rockets since truce Photo: Ze'ev Trachtman
 
Alon Shuster Photo: Amir Cohen
Alon Shuster Photo: Amir Cohen
 
 

Israel closes Gaza crossings over rocket fire

Intermittent rocket fire persists despite ceasefire between Israel, Gaza terror groups. No injuries or damage reported in Tuesday attack as Qassam lands in kibbutz

Shmulik Hadad
Latest Update: 08.19.08, 23:48 / Israel News

Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered the commercial crossings between Israel and the Gaza Strip closed as of Wednesday morning following the launching of a Qassam rocket towards southern Israel earlier on Tuesday.

 

Just In Case
Defense Ministry: 500 protective structures in south by year's end / Hanan Greenberg
Placing of structures for protection against Gaza rocket fire to be expedited despite ceasefire
Full Story

The crossings are to remain closed over the next two days. On Thursday Barak will conduct a revaluation of the situation

 

Palestinian gunmen launched a Qassam rocket from northern Gaza towards Israel on Tuesday evening. The rocket landed in an open area in a kibbutz belonging to the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council.

 

No injuries were reported and no damage was caused. In recent weeks construction has begun in parts of the kibbutz to fortify buildings against rocket attacks.

 
 

The Qassam remains on Tuesday (Photo: Ze'ev Trachtman)

 

More than 20 Qassam rockets have been fired towards the western Negev, as well as numerous mortar shells. Local residents say the attacks have become daily, and many worry the fragile truce may be at an end. 

 

Sha'ar Hanegev Chairman Alon Shuster said following the attack that "even if there was total calm, my mind wouldn't be at rest. I still believe that the government is not doing all it needs to be doing in terms of

fortification. Even the ongoing budget debates shouldn't interfere with the fortification efforts."

 

Shuster added that Defense Minister Ehud Barak and military officials have also said fortification must be made a priority. "But unfortunately they don't have the money," said Shuster. "We hope the works will be completed soon, including the communities that were not part of the agreements, but that are still being fired upon."

 

Hanan Greenberg contributed to this report

 

First Published: 08.19.08, 22:01

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
14 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    רשימת יישובים במרחב