Dozens of rightists cleared after seizing Hebron house - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
West Bank Violence

Settler in Hebron Photo: AP
Settler in Hebron Photo: AP
 
Border Guard patrol Photo: Ronen Medzizni
Border Guard patrol Photo: Ronen Medzizni
 
 

Dozens of rightists cleared after seizing Hebron house

Security forces clear Jewish settlers from house that was sealed in 2006 following a High Court Order; rightists reenter another previously-evacuated house shortly thereafter; 20 youths held for questioning

Efrat Weiss
Published: 12.03.08, 15:46 / Israel News

Another violent clash erupted in the West Bank city of Hebron Wednesday, as Central Control Unit officers cleared dozens of right-wing activist who had reentered the Shapira House, which had previously been evicted under a court order. Twenty youths were taken in for questioning.

Condemnation
Peres, Olmert call for immediate end to Hebron violence / Ilana Curiel
During David Ben-Gurion memorial, president says settler riots in protest of decision to evacuate disputed house 'causing Israel great damage'. PM: Debate over Land of Israel a legitimate, but it cannot override court's ruling
Full Story

 

Later settlers entered another previously-evacuated house in the city, and security personnel were attempting to clear them from there as well.

 

According to the settlers, the three-storey Shapira House was purchased by the Jewish settlement in Hebron. Following a High Court ruling, the structure was evacuated and sealed on May 7, 2006.

 

Extreme right-wing activist Itamar Ben-Gvir told Ynet "those who decided to evict the disputed house will be sorry."

 

Following the confrontation at the Shapira House dozens of rightists gathered outside the disputed house in the city and attempted to block the passage of Border Guard vehicles carrying Jewish detainees.  


Prayer near disputed house in Hebron (Photo: AFP)

 

The Border Guard officers responded with tear gas and stun grenades; according to the rightists; three people sustained light injuries. Additional clashes were reported in close proximity to the disputed house, where rightists hurled bottles and stones at security personnel.

 

Internal Security Minister Avi Dichter referred to the riots in Hebron and said, "Unfortunately adults shamelessly made sure to send out youths and even children to clash with police and soldiers."

  

He added, "The fact that children are allowed to be used as a barrier before police and soldiers should outrage us all."

 

Earlier Wednesday President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Ehud Olmert vehemently condemned Wednesday the recent riots staged by right-wing activists in protest of the expected evacuation of the disputed house in Hebron.

 

"The events in Hebron are causing Israel great damage," Peres said during a memorial ceremony for Israel's first prime minister David Ben-Gurion at Kibbutz Sde Boker. 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
11 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    למציאת מרחב ההתגוננות האישי שלכם »
    פיקוד העורף מזכיר: יש לחכות 10 דקות במרחב המוגן לפני שיוצאים החוצה
    רשימת יישובים במרחב