1st IDF parade from behind the lens
Aryeh Yaakobi, who joined Israel Air Force upon its establishment, documented first military parade, Prime Minister Ben-Gurion's visits to IAF bases
In January 1948, Aryeh Yaakobi
joined the Israel Air Force which had just been established. He was part of the team which built the IAF's photography labs.
This week we bring you Aryeh's ground photos, with his documentation of the first Israel Defense Forces parade in 1948 and the visits of the young State of Israel's
first prime minister and defense minister, David Ben-Gurion,
at IAF bases in later years.
The first IDF parade was held on July 27, 1948 (the 20th day of the month of Tammuz) – only one week after the "second ceasefire" in the War of Independence went into effect.
This day was considered a national memorial day due to the death of the father of modern Zionism, Theodor Herzl. The "Independence Day" law was enacted in 1949, and the celebrations were set for the fifth day of the month of Iyyar.
The parade passed through the Allenby and Ben-Yehuda Streets, and was attended by Ben-Gurion, the IDF's first Chief of Staff Yaakov Dori, army generals and representatives of the young military's various corps.
Photos 1 to 10 and A to C (on the right side of the page) present the sights from that day. Photos 12 to 18 document different visits by Ben-Gurion to Air Force bases between the years 1951 and 1966.
1. On the stage of honor – first IDF Chief of Staff Yaakov Dori alongside army generals
2. The mule leading unit (at the start of the IDF weapons and ammunition were led with mules)
3. Wheeled armored car
4. Navy jeep dragging a projector
5. The IDF band
6. Prime Minister and Defense Minister David Ben-Gurion marches to the stage of honor with the IDF's first Chief of Staff Yaakov Dori
7. David Ben-Gurion (L) and Yaakov Dori
8. Navy jeep
9. Women's Corps
10. The Navy
11. 1951, IDF Chief of Staff Yigael Yadin at the Air Force headquarters in Jaffa. On the left: Aryeh Yaakobi
12. 1951, David Ben-Gurion visits Air Force base. Standing next to him is IAF Commander Aharon Remez
13. On the jeep. From the left: David Ben-Gurion, Aharon Remez and Paula Ben-Gurion
14. Paula Ben-Gurion looks out of a B-17 "Flying Fortress" aircraft
15. David Ben-Gurion near a Rapid aircraft
16. Ceremony welcoming IAF's first Mystère aircraft at the Hatzor base in 1956. From the right: David Ben-Gurion, Yisrael Galili, the French consul to Israel, and the base commander
17. 1966, after receiving the Mirage aircraft. From the right: Pilot Danny Shapira, David Ben-Gurion and IAF Commander Ezer Weizman
18. At the same event. From the right: IDF Chief of Staff Zvi Zur (Chera), David Ben-Gurion and pilot Danny Shapira
- For all trips to the past – click here
|Please wait for the talkbacks to load|