Mazuz closes Cremieux case against Olmert - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Case Closed

Olmert. Three other indictments still stand Photo: Reuters
Olmert. Three other indictments still stand Photo: Reuters
 
The house on Cremieux Street Photo: Alex Kolomoisky
The house on Cremieux Street Photo: Alex Kolomoisky
 
 

Mazuz closes Cremieux case against Olmert

Attorney general cites lack of evidence as reason from ending probe which tried to ascertain whether former PM received significant discount when purchasing an apartment in prestigious Jerusalem realty project in exchange for helping promote it

Aviad Glickman
Published: 07.20.09, 11:47 / Israel News

Attorney General Menachem Mazuz announced Monday that he would be closing the investigation against former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert in the Cremieux affair, after the police informed him ago that there was no sufficient evidence to merit filing criminal charges against him in the case.

 

The case focused on the suspicion that Olmert bought an apartment on Jerusalem's Cremieux Street for a significantly reduced price during his tenure as industry, trade and labor minister, in a bid to speed up sales on the real estate project.

 

Angry Letter
Olmert waives hearing following 1st indictment in double-billing affair  / Aviad Glickman
Former prime minister's attorneys say they are shocked by first indictment in double-billing Rishon Tours affair
Full story

The Cremieux affair began in a state comptroller's report in March 2006, which uncovered suspicions of a faulty relationship between the former prime minister and his wife and a real estate entrepreneur in Jerusalem.

 

According to suspicions, during Olmert's tenure as industry, trade and labor minister the couple bought a house for preservations in Jerusalem's German Colony neighborhood for a significantly reduced price. In return, Olmert allegedly promoted the real estate project at the Jerusalem Municipality, while intervening in the permit receiving process.

 

The police looked into suspicions that Olmert committed fraud and breach of trust offenses and even took a bribe, but eventually reached the conclusion that there was no sufficient evidence to prove that these criminal offenses had in fact taken place.

 

Last week, Mazuz met with State Prosecutor Moshe Lador and other senior officials at the State Prosecutor's Office, and decided to close the case.

 

The Justice Ministry said in a statement that while the investigation did not clear some of the doubts concerning the deal and the conduct of those involved in the case, there was not enough evidence to establish whether Olmert did, in fact, receive a significant discount in exchange for municipal mitigations.

 

According to the attorney general, the material gathered in the case included findings showing that the municipality's handling of the Cremieux project was unusual and affected the conduct of different city officials who knew that Olmert had purchased an apartment in the project. However, no sufficient evidence was found to support the claim that this activity stemmed from the then-minister's involvement.

 

Olmert's advisor: All cases will be closed  

In April, State Prosecutor Lador decided to close another case against Olmert, which focused on suspicions that Olmert used his influence to ensure an Australian businessman, Frank Louie, won Bank Leumi's privatization tender.

 

In three other cases, the attorney general has already decided to file charges against Olmert, pending a hearing: The Double-billing case, the Talansky affair, and the Investment Center case.

 

A police investigation is still ongoing in a sixth affair, dealing with political appointments in the Small and Medium Enterprises Authority.

 

Olmert's media advisor, Amir Dan, said in response to Mazuz's decision, "Three years of a never-ending investigation, of tendentious leaks and of a slew of fiery and insulting declarations against Olmert end today in complete silence.

 

"This is a decision which should have been made a long time again rather than three years later, after a prime minister has already been removed from his seat. I have no doubt that all the cases will be closed like this one."

 

Last week, Olmert's attorneys sent a poignant letter to Mazuz following the decision to indict the former prime minister's travel coordinator Rachael Risby-Raz in the Rishon Tours double-billing affair. In the letter, the lawyers informed Mazuz of their decision to waive Olmert's right to a preliminary hearing, claiming such hearing is useless as the State Prosecutor's Office appears firm in its intention to indict Olmert.

 

According to the indictment, Olmert systematically deceived organizations which funded his trips abroad, received double funding, and used the money accumulated at the travel agents to pay for plane tickets for his family members.

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
7 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    למציאת מרחב ההתגוננות האישי שלכם »
    פיקוד העורף מזכיר: יש לחכות 10 דקות במרחב המוגן לפני שיוצאים החוצה
    רשימת יישובים במרחב