2 more swine flu deaths hit Middle East - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Deadly Virus

Archives Photo: AFP
Archives Photo: AFP
 
 

2 more swine flu deaths hit Middle East

Latest deaths in Lebanon, Qatar bring toll across region to eight; Saudi Arabia worst hit country in Arab world

Associated Press
Published: 08.01.09, 17:14 / Israel News

Two more people in the Middle East died from swine flu, authorities reported Saturday, as the deadly virus continues its spread across on the region.

Israeli Victim
Health Ministry believes Eilat man died of swine flu  / Meital Yasur-Beit Or
Autopsy on body of Eilat resident, 35, who died Saturday reveals he was infected with virus. Family files malpractice claim against hospital for discharging man twice last week
Full Story

 

The latest deaths bring the toll across the region to eight, with half of the deaths being in Saudi Arabia.

 

Lebanon's Health Ministry reported Saturday that a man suffering from advanced lymph gland cancer, which likely weakened his immune system, succumbed to swine flu.

 

Local media reported that he actually died Thursday and subsequent tests revealed swine flu was the cause.

 

Lebanon has reported 162 cases of swine flu, many of them in expatriates coming to spend the summer vacation in the country.

 

The tiny Gulf island emirate of Qatar also reported is first swine flu death when an obese 36-year-old died after being admitted to the hospital with acute pneumonia, according to a report in the state news agency.

 

The man had just traveled from Dubai where he had visited two other hospitals.

 

Qatar has reported 43 other cases of the swine flu, but the rest of them have been successfully treated.

 

The worst hit country in the Arab world has been Saudi Arabia, where 595 people have tested positive for the H1N1 virus and four people have died.

 

Saudi Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabia said preparations continue for the annual hajj pilgrimage when 3 million Muslims from around the world will descend on the holy city of Mecca in November and the kingdom has already pre-ordered extra doses of any future vaccine.

 

"We have reserved 4 million doses," al-Rabia said at a press conference. "It is not easy to get the vaccine, there is international competition. But this big portion was granted (to the kingdom) because of the importance of the hajj and umra seasons," he said, also referring to the smaller out-of-season pilgrimages.

 

A vaccination is expected some time in the autumn.

 

Al-Rabia also said that Saudi Arabia has sent samples from those who've died to the US and Europe to be tested in case there has been a mutation in the virus strain. 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
3 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    רשימת יישובים במרחב